SB Physics Help Room Sucks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating A Proper Graph

2 posters

Go down

Creating A Proper Graph Empty Creating A Proper Graph

Post  Guest01 Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm sure a lot of people are having trouble with their graphs. I thought I'd create a little tutorial on the proper way to create one. The TA's are looking for specifics. First thing to realize is which axis is which. When it asks you to plot M vs. N think of it this way to know on which axis the labels go. Think of it as Y-axes vs. X-axes. Labeling them is just marking the number intervals, what each axis is and it's units. The error bars are the errors calculated included on your graph, they'll usually form a little box around your point. If the errors are that small I included a small note on the side of the graph saying they are too small for the graph.

That is pretty straight forward. Let's get a little in depth on The slope and the ranges for slope.

For Lab 4 particularly, and probably most of the lab graphs we will do, the slope will pass through the origin. After you plot all your points, do not connect them in a straight line. Start your slope from the origin and allow it to pass trough the middle area surrounding your points. On that line pick two points to find your slope. I will let you guys in on a little secret, I generally just take my first and last values, and find it's range.

When you are looking for the error of the slope, look at your graph. From the origin draw a dotted line through a point which is the furthest up, and draw another dotted line through the point which is the furthest below the slope. To get the error of the slope you need a max and min value. The point you went through above the slope, that is your max. Use it's corresponding (x,y) values and use this in your slope. I usually compare it to my first point plotted. The point you went through below the slope, that is your (x,y) value for your min. Again I use the first point in my calculation to find the range. Subtract the min from max and divide by two and you get your error for slope.

You are also supposed to mark the ranges you used for the calculation of slope. All this means is draw another dotted line along the vertical and horizontal axis from the points you used to form a triangle. Draw brackets over the dotted line and label those as DeltaX and DeltaY. That should be most of the points. Of course The graph drawing has to be correct.

Also, use a ruler! Use it on both the error slopes and slope.

Finally make sure the graph takes up the entire grid. It's okay if it fall a little short, but you want nearly all of it displayed. What if the graph is too small or a small section of, that is there is a big jump in the interval from the origin to the first starting number and the regular intervals on the graph, then between the origin and first interval draw a zigzag line to show it is broken up and a section of the graph is not included. If the origin happens to start at another point other then zero, then this should be fine to not include the (0,0) origin. Do not let the graph go off the grid, even the slightest bit. When your points end and you draw out the slope draw it from one edge to the other. Do the same for the dotted max and min values.

My attempt at a checklist to help you through this:
[ ] Axis Labeled - [ ] X and Y; [ ] Units for X and Y; [ ] Marked Intervals
[ ] Data Points
[ ] Error Bars for Points. (If there is none it might be a good idea to note so on the side of the page).
[ ] "Best Fit" Slope (line)
[ ] Dotted Max Slope; [ ] Dotted Min Slope
[ ] Range (dotted lines from slope points creating a right triangle)
[ ] Brackets for ∆Χ and ∆Υ (might also be a good idea to indicate the value) *Note this ∆ stands for the change in and not error of.

Let's see if I can add images here so you all can see what it should look like.
Creating A Proper Graph 2616242110081674172KbGGzU_th
Creating A Proper Graph 2616242110081674172KbGGzU_th

Guest01

Back to top Go down

Creating A Proper Graph Empty Re: Creating A Proper Graph

Post  Lilly Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:33 pm

This is really nice of you. Thank you for all your effort. I am sure everyone will appreciate it.
The TA's can really bloody your paper and sometimes just for neatness!!!! Its so f'd up.
Thanks a bunch. Very Happy

Lilly

Back to top Go down

Post  periwinkle Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:09 am

That's really nice of you! Thanks for all your help!

periwinkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down