SB Physics Help Room Sucks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lab quiz #7

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty lab quiz #7

Post  super mo Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:50 am

#1 F=m*g then K=F/x
don't forgett to convert to SI answer neg
#2 T= 2pi*sqrt(mass of glider/K)
answer neg

I ask for input on #3 constant = 2*pi so
T=2*pi*k^-.5 with expression 8: 2*pi*k^-.5*(deltaT/T)?
any thoughts?

super mo

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Re: lab quiz #7

Post  hey Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:30 pm

I don't have Quiz 7 there yet ??

hey

Back to top Go down

Post  aa Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:20 pm

quiz is up now,

what is K ?

aa

Back to top Go down

Post  guesto Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Well for number four you must first calculate the period.
After you have done this, you propogate the error of the spring with equation 8 from error and uncertainty.
Then, to get the absolute error of the period, you multiply the new error by the period. PRESTO!

guesto

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Number 3

Post  Guest 3. Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:37 pm

For number 3 they give you the relative error of K (the percentage is equal to Delta_K/K). To propagate it, follow equation 8 from errors and uncertainty.... so just multiply by abs(-1/2) to get the relative error of T. Then multiply by T.

Full Equation: 2*pi*sqrt(m/k) * 0.5* (% given/100)

Guest 3.

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Lab 7 Quiz Q. 1

Post  foofanat Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm

You suspend a 18.7 gram mass, which is attached to a spring via a string guided by a pulley as shown above. You define this position of the glider shown as your "zero mass" starting position (the glider plays no role here other than providing a convenient object to attach the string to and measure position with). When you add 37.4 grams to the initial mass you produce a shift of the glider of 21.3 cm. This is also the stretch from the starting position produced in the spring. What is the spring constant of the spring (see Ch9 sheet 14)? Indicate with negative (positive) sign whether a compression of the spring by the same force as above would compress the spring by the same distance as (a distance different from) the stretch above.

I can't seem to figure it out. I converted all to SI units. The eqn used should be F=Kx and F=mg. Find the force by multiplying mass (i tried both ways, just the .374 and adding it to the original grams) multiply it by gravity. Then that resulting force divided by the displacement. I can't figure out the k. I have tried both neg and positives, although I feel that the answer is negative. Any help??

foofanat

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Q.2&3

Post  hellpppp Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Q2. You displaced the glider shown above from its equilibrium position by 20.3 cm and then released it. In the following oscillation of the glider the computer, with the help of a photogate, measures the time between two subsequent passes of the glider through the gate, i.e. the period T of the oscillation. If the spring constant of the two springs combined is 3.23 N/m, and the mass of the glider is 376 grams, what is the expected period (to be compared with the measured period)(see Ch9 sheet 16)? Indicate with a negative (positive) sign whether the spring constant of the two identical springs combined is twice the (has the same) spring constant as a single spring.

Q3. In the experiment with the two springs shown above you calculate the expected period , where k= 2.69 N/m is the spring constant of the two springs combined, and m= 380 grams is the mass of the glider. You neglect the error of m. What is the absolute errror of the expected period T, when the error of the spring constant for one spring is 6.03 %? Indicate with a positive (negative) sign whether the % error of the spring constant of two identical springs combined is equal to (twice) the % error of the spring constant of a single spring. (Hint: since the mass is treated as error free, the period can be written for the purpose of error calculation in the form "T=const x k-1/2". Use expres​sion(Cool and (3) in "Error and Uncertainty".)

any ideas???

hellpppp

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Question 3

Post  sedwards Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Could someone please post question three with all the numbers because I have tried to do it atleast 15 different ways and I keep getting it wrong. Please help on question 3?????

sedwards

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Q3

Post  angelbab Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:31 pm

I am also stuck on question three I have tried it so many different ways but I cant figure it out can someone please post a detailed solution for this problem?

angelbab

Back to top Go down

Post  hh Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:04 pm

for #1

what is the value of x?

K=F/x

hh

Back to top Go down

Post  DJ Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 pm

x would be the distance given.

DJ

Back to top Go down

Post  m Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:44 pm

any help with #1?

m

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Question 3

Post  hwilson Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 pm

Please help with #3 I cant figure it and I have tried everything I can think of?

hwilson

Back to top Go down

Post  m Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm

help me with 1, i'll hlep with 3

m

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Question 1/ Please Post 3

Post  hwilson Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:26 pm

You suspend a 18.7 gram mass, which is attached to a spring via a string guided by a pulley as shown above. You define this position of the glider shown as your "zero mass" starting position (the glider plays no role here other than providing a convenient object to attach the string to and measure position with). When you add 37.4 grams to the initial mass you produce a shift of the glider of 21.3 cm. This is also the stretch from the starting position produced in the spring. What is the spring constant of the spring (see Ch9 sheet 14)? Indicate with negative (positive) sign whether a compression of the spring by the same force as above would compress the spring by the same distance as (a distance different from) the stretch above.

F=m*g then K=F/x
answer is negative

Convert 37.4 grams to Kilograms .0374
F= .0374/9.81
F=.0038124363

K=F/x
K= .0038124363/x
21.3 cm converted to meters .213
K=.0038124363/.213
K=-.0178987619

Thats question 1 could you please post question 3?

hwilson

Back to top Go down

Post  boo Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 pm

For number one:
F=m*g
.0396kg* 9.81=.388476
K=F/X
.388476/.26=1.4941
The ans is negative
That is how i got this problem right...

boo

Back to top Go down

Post  gwar Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 am

The correct solution to all of the problems is posted up already...

gwar

Back to top Go down

Post  plzzzzzz Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:18 am

plzzzzzzz help with 3

plzzzzzz

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty question 3

Post  hwilson Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:27 am

I have attempted to do question 3 many times but I cant figure it out. If you know how to do it please post a detailed description. Thank you.

hwilson

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Q3

Post  angelbab Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 am

Does ANYONE know how to do question 3?

angelbab

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty Lab 7 Prep

Post  Lali Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:57 am

Did anyone do the Preparation for Lab 7?

Lali

Back to top Go down

Post  student Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:15 am

please help me with #3

student

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty #3

Post  super mo Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:38 am

k= 2.32N/m
m= 0.356kg (already converted to SI)
errorof spring constant is 8.05%
use formula: T=2pi*sqrt(m/k)
2pi*sqrt(.356/2.32) = 2.46128
absolute error of T= 0.5*(8.05/100)*2.46128 = 0.009907 this is the exact answer found on the practice problems on the CD. Good luck

super mo

Back to top Go down

lab quiz #7 Empty #3

Post  super mo Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:50 am

I initially put neg and got it wrong the answer is positive.

super mo

Back to top Go down

Post  cat Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 am

I keep getting all of them wrong

cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next