SB Physics Help Room Sucks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lab Execution 3

Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty Lab Execution 3

Post  heyheyoo Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:13 am

does any1 know how to solve for R in Non-Ohmic part I assumed i was V/I=R

heyheyoo

Back to top Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty Re: Lab Execution 3

Post  Kathleen Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:16 am

For the nonohmic part, R is the slope of the graph. Upon placing values in the chart, a graph will be formulated automatically and a y=***.*x number will appear in the left hand corner. The number before the x, you should recall, is the slope. We can say that R is the slope of the graph because In order to determine the slope you are taking the change in y over change in x, or in other terms, voltage/current.

Kathleen

Back to top Go down

Post  me Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:32 pm

anyone know how to calculate the error of R for the nonohmic part? it says to keep guessing but I dont know how to go about it..i tried a bunch of thigns but it doesnt work

me

Back to top Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty error of R

Post  sara Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm

any one got the error of R for the nonohmic part

I tried a lot of numbers

but nothing worked pale

sara

Back to top Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty error of r

Post  ann Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm

(error of r/r) = (error of I/I)
the error of I is given, 0.001 and you measured I and r in lab. Divide error of I by the measured I, then multiply the value by the resistance you got from lab. This would be your error of r. You could use this equation to calculate the error of r for both the execution and analysis part of the lab.

ann

Back to top Go down

Post  g Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 pm

im having trouble gettint the resistance on the second part of the excel sheet with the lightbulb. I tried using all of the formulations for resistance, but nothing gives me the right answer... whats goin on?

g

Back to top Go down

Post  answer Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 pm

For R on the second page, you dont have to calculate it by hand. Go to the last page of the labmanual and it gives you a format to enter into the boxes, which calculates all the values for you

answer

Back to top Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty Current (I) in A

Post  :) Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:40 pm

just making sure, for the measured Current I, do we take the given value and mulitply it by 10^-3? (and not 10^-2)

and then for: the measured value of the equivalent series resistance and it's error,
it would be (.001/current)
the error would be (.001/current) * measured resistance?

and then the same procedure for the parallel resistance and error?

just trying to be absolutely sure, thank you so much Smile

:)

Back to top Go down

Post  student Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:23 am

For R you take the Voltage/Current.
everything else you said was right

student

Back to top Go down

Lab Execution 3 Empty Current I and Error R

Post  Lali Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm

When you guys say we measured current "I" in lab, umm didn't we measure more than one value so which value do I use to figure out the error for R?
Thanks.

Lali

Back to top Go down

Post  Lali Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:20 pm

For the Execution sheet II, on the bottom it says "Does the calculated value of the equivalent series resistance agree (within error) with the measured value?" What measured value of R is being talked about? Do they mean the R1 and R2 that the TA measured?

Thanks.

Lali

Back to top Go down

Post  me Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:47 pm

That is partially correct. For the in series circuits you do R = R1+R2 (where R1 and R2 are the values the TA told you) and for the in parallel circuits you do the 1/R = 1/R1+1/R2 . Those values of R that you then calculate from those equations are the measured values.

me

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down